Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Holding Hands at Christmas

It is early Wednesday morning as I sit with coffee, my laptop, and the lights of the Christmas tree. Last Sunday I had the privilege of ministering to the families of a local funeral home who experienced the death of a loved one this year. As some of you know, we had barely finished having a blizzard.

As each family entered the building, the acute awareness of their vulnerability as well as their need washed over my spirit. They were so courageous to venture out. Inadequate as I felt, the Spirit of God quickened my heart and mind with the things death and He had taught me. Comforted by the Lord's response to those He loved in the face of their grief, I walked over to each of them and thanked them for coming. There commitment to coming spoke to me of their need and courage.

A piece of what I shared with each of them was God's promise of never leaving or forsaking each one of us. In today's language that means He promises to never abandon us, become distracted by a better offer, race ahead of us, or lag behind dragging His feet. The Lord promises to walk with us through this time at a pace that works best for us. In fact, we can ask the Lord to feel what we feel as well as set the pace of our day. I firmly believe the Lord is with us wherever we go; physically, emotionally, or mentally. There were many tears and much laughter as we shared.

This Christmas season may or may not be a time of remembering someone no longer in your life. The reason they are no longer present doesn't matter. What does matter is that anyone's loss is real; that we have a Savior who came, died, and rose so we can be comforted every moment of every day by His presence.

Christmas is not an easy time of the year for many. Christmas is a joyous time of year for many. My prayer is no matter how we feel we can remember the Lord's promise from Isaiah 41, "I the Lord your God will hold you by your right hand saying, Fear not, for I will help you." Ask Him to come and feel what you feel; to hold your right hand and walk through the day with you. Ask Him to help set the pace that works best for you. Allow yourself a few moments of time where the comfort of Him holding your hand seeps into the depths of your spirit. Then...breath...just breath...remembering that He is right there with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment